Published on April 9th, 2012 | by Todd Smekens3
YMCA Should Fund Community Wellness Programs
After the previous articles written about the YMCA, we’ve received many positive responses within the community by citizens who also believe the Y no longer represents the best interests of our community.
However, as we’ve indicated, many will not go public with this opinion due to fear of retaliation by this local “Christian” organization which has already banned, or refused membership, to 4 adults, and two children under age 6 who have shared opposite views with the CEO, Cathy Clark.
Many people agree that the poor attempt to build its membership base in south Muncie while opening a facility in Yorktown, or their second facility in NW Muncie’s more affluent area, highlights the Y is catering to their affluent members.
Without having specific access to the Y’s demographics, historically, the YMCA is used by less than 10% of all county residents, and one can imagine with this economy, and high membership rates at the Y, that those numbers have declined.
There are many unhappy citizens in Yorktown who will be fighting the battle of the preferred leases the YMCA received when Steve Lowery negotiated them on behalf of residents, so all we can say is stay tuned as an election year will certainly create some discussion about the Yorktown YMCA.
What about the Muncie Family YMCA? What could they do to become a better community partner?
Especially in light of last weeks 2011 County Health Rankings which show that our overall wellness in Delaware County has gotten worse. We are now ranked 85th out of 92 counties in overall wellness. It’s obvious that the YMCA, in exchange for their tax exempt status, is failing the community in wellness leadership.
What’s the solution?
A rough idea would involve our public officials implementing new public health policies that cover all of Delaware County and make sure the right people are leading this endeavor from the ground up. The community centers (Ross, Buley, and Forest Park), and local parks could become the major activity centers for the City of Muncie. Let the people closest to those involved lead residents.
How to fund this program?
Yet another conversation for local officials.
To help as a starting point, we asked the County Assessor to estimate property taxes for the downtown and the Northwest facility of the YMCA based on current assessed valuations – their respective tax bills would be:
Downtown Muncie - $128,484.00 plus storm water and ditch fees
(Valued @ $4.3 MIL)
Northwest Muncie – $82,122.00 plus storm water and ditch fees
(Valued @ $2.7 MIL)
Therefore, if property taxes were assessed and paid by the YMCA, the City of Muncie would receive an extra $210,606 plus fees annually. That’s a fair starting point.
These funds could contribute toward youth and senior wellness programs at community centers, parks, fund summer lifeguards and programming at Prairie Creek and Tuhey, and help support the Friends of Conley who are providing Summer Youth programs within our city parks beginning this summer, etc.
Times have changed, and the YMCA leadership is not making an impact on helping improve community wellness. It appears to manage its operations through a large endowment bestowed upon it - in short, it acts like a trust fund baby.
The Board of Managers seem more diligent in managing the trust than advocating for health and wellness in our community. Their past decisions, current fitness center locations, and board makeup, support this assessment and reflect its true mission.
Our public officials need to investigate options such as property taxes, Payments in Lieu of Taxes (PILOT), or other fees against both the value of property and revenue (income) derived from membership fees to help support wellness programs for the entire community.
There is no reason 90% of our population should subsidize fitness club memberships for the other 10% of our neighbors.
It’s time to stop taxpayer subsidies for an organization that is not serving the community – the recent County Health Rankings reinforces that we need to try something new.
Let the Muncie Family YMCA fund community programs for those needing it the most which is their true charitable purpose of building strong communities.