As the world continues to switch between fossil fuels and gasoline-powered vehicles, more people are considering electric cars. Aside from being environmentally friendly and ultra-quiet, they have longer ranges than gasoline cars, so you’ll be able to travel farther before needing to recharge.
Road trips in electric vehicles can be a lot of fun for those who don’t have to worry about gas stations or running out of power halfway through their journey. This article will provide tips on taking a road trip in an electric vehicle so that your experience is as enjoyable as possible Let’s start with the most basic question.
Are Electric Vehicles Good For Long Road Trips?
Electric cars are great for long road trips in the US or UK. Depending on your make and model of the electric vehicle, you can travel anywhere from 150 to 300 miles on a single charge. That’s plenty of range for most people, especially if you’re only driving one way. If your trip is going to be a little longer than your car’s range, you can always plan to stop and recharge at a charging station along the way.
Charging stations are becoming more common, so finding one shouldn’t be difficult. And if you’re stuck, most hotels nowadays offer guests the option to plug in their electric car overnight while they sleep.
Preparations For an EV Road Trip
Now that you know electric cars are great for road trips let’s talk about how to prepare for one. The most important thing is to ensure your car is fully charged before hitting the road.
This means plugging it in the night before and letting it charge up. You’ll also want to pack a few essentials in your car just in case you run into trouble.
Here are some things to bring with you on your road trip:
- Charging cables and adapters
- Extra phone charger
- Jumper cables
- Spare tire
- Water bottles
- Nonperishable food items
It’s also a good idea to have an emergency plan in case something happens. This could mean anything from having the number of a tow truck service saved on your phone to know the location of the nearest charging station. The best thing you can do is get eco-car insurance for your electric vehicle to cover yourself against any odds in your journey.
Things You Should Know Before Planning Your Trip
Now that you know what to bring with you on your journey let’s discuss some more.
- First of all, it’s essential to find out if there are any charging stations near the places where you’re going. You can usually check this information online or call local hotels and ask them for details.
- You also need to ensure your car is in good condition before hitting the road. This means checking the tire pressure, fluid levels, and brakes.
- In addition to that, you should know the type of charger your vehicle uses. There are three different chargers, and you don’t want to get the wrong one. So, don’t forget to take your adapter.
- If you’re going on a long trip, it might be a good idea to break it into shorter legs. This will make it easier on both you and your car. You can also plan to make a few stops along the way to eat, stretch your legs, and use the bathroom.
- Lastly, have fun! A road trip is an excellent opportunity to see new places and explore.
While the tips mentioned above are essential for road trips, don’t forget to enjoy the journey. Take some time to relax and soak in the sights and sounds of your surroundings. You can also take a look at some more tips in the infographics below by Motor1 to make your journey go as smoothly as possible.